Monday, May 30, 2011

SALUTE



Happy Memorial Day to all... And a very special thank-you to all of the service men and women who have sacrificed their time, efforts and lives for our freedom.

Although I was unable to find much documentation to validate this post, due to the celebration of one of our country's greatest holidays, it is necessary nonetheless.

Does anyone remember 'Operation TNT'...?

During the 1990's Turner Network Television would honor our military service personnel with a weekend long war movie marathon. The series would usually encompass some of our greatest and most classic military movies of the 20th century.

For example: 'Kelly's Heroes', 'The Dirty Dozen' & 'A Bridge Too Far'.

My appreciation for these movies comes from my grandparent's love for them; I remember as a teenager visiting over the holiday weekend, and being so excited to watch some of these all-time favorites. It was so much fun reliving the experiences, and learning from my grandfather who was a dedicated servicemen in the Navy during the second World War.

As part of 'The Greatest Generation' I saw an appreciation for this country in my grandparents that has since been unmatched. They taught me how to love this country, how to appreciate my freedoms and how to honor those who are responsible for said freedoms.

That appreciation that I keep with me everyday is a direct result of the beliefs my grandparents helped instill in me. Our military and the individuals that represent us are special people... They have been in the past, and will continue to be in the future.

I can say with pride that I am proud to be a part of a family with military ties, as well as a country that has been represented and defended by such amazing people.

Memorial Day is an awesome day to celebrate our freedoms, and for me 'Operation TNT' was part of that celebration. Although the programming has since changed, the memories I have from the marathons I watched our priceless.

Just like the opportunity to live in the land of the free and the home of the brave...

Happy Memorial Day!
Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.9

No comments:

Post a Comment