Monday, November 29, 2010

"The Dream Is Still Alive"

This weekend I visited The National Civil Rights Museum in Memphis, Tennessee. Home to the Lorraine Motel and Dr. Martin Luther King's assassination. I found myself engaged for two hours as I poured this building, and learned about the centuries of struggle our nation endured while breaking down race barriers between blacks and whites. 

The tour documented decades upon decades of turmoil and was highlighted by Dr. King's "cause"; along with his final moments. As I approached the display that is now Room 306 I was overcome by emotion. I could have very easily shed tears as I observed such a historic place. Instead, I stood overlooking the spot where Dr. King's life was taken. Deep in thought; contemplating the magnitude of this experience. 

I believe Dr. King's lifelong friend Revered Samuel "Billy" Kyles said it best:

"You can kill the dreamer, but you absolutely cannot kill the dream ... The dream is still alive!"

No comments:

Post a Comment