Monday, July 12, 2010

Jeff Drenth Memorial Footrace: 5k or 10k?



It's that time of year again, the Eightieth Celebration of Charlevoix's historic Venetian Festival is only days away. Next to Travese City's Cherry Festival, "this week-long flurry of color and pageantry", is easily is one of the best summertime events northern Michigan has to offer.

I may be slightly biased, but this event is always worth the anticipation.

This particular Venetian post is all about the Annual Jeff Drenth Memorial Footrace. Dedicated to northern Michigan's very own Jeff Drenth and Ryan Shay, this morning of running consists of a family fun run, a 5k, a 10k and the highlight of the event: A men's and women's power mile with a $2500 purse.

Last Year's winner ran the mile in 4:02. These Olympic conditioned athletes are simply amazing to watch!

As for me, A three time 5k Drenth participant, I have already decided to run. This has become quite the family event in recent years with the addition of my UncleSteve, the ultra marathoner, and his family of runners. In recent years my brother and I have been lured into the early morning workout where we put our competitive nature up against other runners and the elements. This race is a blast, but if your a competitor it's also grueling because in order to place you gotta push it.

With that being said.... Both my brother and I meddled in our respective age groups a couple of years ago while running the 5k. Results like that make running worth while, even if Matthew did lose some of his "cookies" as he crossed the finish line. Like I said, grueling.

Cannot lie, the success in the past only motivates you moving forward. I've spent the last couple of weeks training, and currently I'm at a cross-roads". My previous experiences with the Drenth have all been running the 5k, but my recent training has consisted of 5+ mile runs, and I'm currently knocking them out around a 7 1/2 minute mile pace.

Considering my current situation the question remains - Do I stick with the comfortable choice and compete in a race I know that I can medal in? Or do I take it to the next level and compete in "uncharted waters" as a 10k new comer?

I'm still torn as I continue to train. The race is over a week away so thankfully I have time. I remain open to the possibility of running the 10k. Their is just something intriguing, and probably slightly diluted, about mentally and physically exerting myself, and then in a super relaxed state of mind watching the Bagpipes and Fife & Bugle Corp. march down MainStreet in the parade that follows.

Plus.... The 10k would give me the opportunity to go Head 2 Head with my UnlceSteve: Competition!

Either way, which ever race I pick it's going to be work and it's going to be a blast!

Decisions.... Decisions... Decisions...






No comments:

Post a Comment